Blastomyces

JP Clapp jpc4 at unix.york.ac.uk
Thu Jun 22 05:38:09 EST 1995

Does anyone have any information on the ecology of Blastomyces (not
dermatitidis)?

I am involved in the identification by sequencing of fungal mycelia in
roots and spores from the soil.  Sequences have been detected which are
similar but not identical to the database entry for B. dermatitidis.
Although this is not one of the genera of interest , it would be useful
to know whether any  species (or indeed genera) related to this one are
likely to be found in a soil/root environment  and that these are
therefore genuine sequences arising from the study sites (the alternative
may be that  they  arise from a contaminating laboratory source).  The
identification of these Blastomyces -like sequences has been surprising
however, because the number obtained is greater than one would expect if
they arose from contaminating cells in view of the excess of the
'correct' template present in the PCR reactions.  In addition, the
sequences show some minor sequence variation (thus eliminating the
possibility of a rogue PCR contaminant).

I would be most grateful if some information could be forthcoming on
these observations by a member/s of the discussion group.

many thanks,

Justin P. Clapp (Dr.) University of York, UK