Blastomyces

Thu Jun 22 12:09:21 EST 1995

In article <3sbh6h$j7c at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, JP Clapp <jpc4 at unix.york.ac.uk>
writes:
>Does anyone have any information on the ecology of Blastomyces (not
>dermatitidis)?
>
>I am involved in the identification by sequencing of fungal mycelia in
>roots and spores from the soil.  Sequences have been detected which are
>similar but not identical to the database entry for B. dermatitidis.
>Although this is not one of the genera of interest , it would be useful
>to know whether any  species (or indeed genera) related to this one are
>likely to be found in a soil/root environment  and that these are
>therefore genuine sequences arising from the study sites (the alternative
>may be that  they  arise from a contaminating laboratory source).

etc.

During my search for endemic biological control agents of weeds, Blastomyces
appears relatively frequently in lesions on weed seedlings just emerging from
soil.  Weed diseases are not as thoroughly studied as crop diseases- there are
a number of fungal genera, such as Blastomyces and Candida, which are not
usually thought of as crop diseases, but which appear frequently in
isolations from weeds either as diseases, opportunists, or seed-transmitted
endophytes, and could be expected to be a pretty common component in soils as
well.  It probably wouldn't be too unusual to have something else other than
B. dermatidis- I've seen at least two different types of the fungus in my
boreal forest samples.  Unfortunately, there never seems to be time to follow
up on things like that.  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773