Blastomyces

lester.pasarell at utmb.edu lester.pasarell at utmb.edu
Fri Jun 23 07:43:51 EST 1995

On Fri, 23 Jun 1995, Peter Febbroriello wrote:

> Justin Clapp asks about Blastomyces. I have isolated that genus
> from cave soil in Costa Rica, it is quite possibly one of
> the easiest to find after Aspergillus and Penicillium.
> --Peter Febbroriello

Your findings are very interesting, since it is very difficult to isolate
Blastomyces dermatitidis (the only species within the genus) from the
environment, and even less easy to find it in caves. Could it be possible
that what you are isolating from caves is Histoplasma capsulatum?, which
is very similar in its microscopic morphology to B.dermatitidis?, plus
it has been reported in Costa Rica. Either way you all may want to
confirm the identity of your isolate by Exoantigens or DNA probes.

I really hope that your friend is using aerosol safe masks when he goes
exploring caves or that he has a very good MD friend!!!

Good health...and luck

Lester Pasarell
Clinical Mycology Reference Laboratory
University of Texas Medical Branch