HELP! basidiomycete recognition systems

David H. Griffin griffin at kong.syr.edu
Wed Mar 1 10:04:32 EST 1995

>Hello, I need some information on how mating type compatability, somatic
>compatability and intersterility function in basidiomycete fungi.  I
>would appreciate any advice about how these systems operate, does the

Recent reviews:

Casselton, L. A. and U. Kues.  1994.  Mating-type genes in
Homobasidiomycetes.  Pp. 307-321 In J. G. H. Wessels and F. Meinhardt
(Eds.), Growth, differentiation and sexuality.  Springer-Verlag, Berlin.

Kamper, J., M. Bolker and R. Kahmann.  1994.  Mating-type genes in
Heterobasidiomycetes.  Pp. 323-332 In J. G. H. Wessels and F. Meinhardt
(Eds.), Growth, differentiation and sexuality.  Springer-Verlag, Berlin.

Esser, K. and R. Blaich.  1994.  Heterogenic incompatibility in fungi.
Pp. 211-232 In J. G. H. Wessels and F. Meinhardt (Eds.), Growth,
differentiation and sexuality.  Springer-Verlag, Berlin.

>current literature suggest that they are all independent of one another?
>how do they function in terms of genetic loci? must they be different or
>similar to produce a successful mating pair?

These processes are genetically independent, but physiologically they
interact. Somatic incompatibility in Hymenomycetes apparently functions
only among dicaryons, and therefore has little impact on mating per se.
This is different from Ascomycetes in one respect and similar in another,
namely, somatic incompatibility in Asco's occurs between monocaryons, but
does not effect mating between trichogyne and whatever antheridial
structure is presented.

Intersterility phenomena clearly override the mating-type loci, entirely
or partially depending on the fungus and what genotypes are involved.

>Also does somatic (vegetative) incompatability seem to be an artifactual
>phenomenon? or does it serve a true functional role in segregating
>members within a species to recognize only themselves in the natural
>environment?

Rayner has discussed this in considerable detail. I doubt very much that
this is artifactual.

Rayner, A. D. M., D. Coates, A. M. Ainsworth, T. J. H. Adams, E. N. D.
Williams and N. K. Todd.  1984.  The biological consequences of the
individualistic mycelium.  Pp. 509-540 In D. H. Jennings and A. D. M.
Rayner (Eds.), The ecology and physiology of the fungal mycelium.
Cambridge Univ Press, Cambridge.

Rayner, A. D. M.  1991.  The Phytopathological Significance of Mycelial
Individualism.  Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 29: 305-323.

>Any advice concerning the above systems and how they interact with one
>another would be appreciated.  Also any opinions on the function of
>somatic compatability in the wild would also be appreciated.

I hope that this is helpful.

David H. Griffin
Department of Environmental &
    Forest Biology