Predatorial Fungi

Warren Rekow pub907 at IDPTV.IDBSU.EDU
Sat Mar 4 13:13:46 EST 1995

On march 4th egrunden at (Eric Grundein) asked:

> I know that there is a fungi that traps nematodes by
> forming a loop that constricts when a nematode passes
> through. Does anyone know the name of this fungi?

Eric, you may want to look up the following article:

"Jekyll-Hyde Mushrooms" by George Barron in Natural History magazine, March

This article describes fungal predation and includes a picture of the fungus
Arthrobotrys capturing a nematode in a ring structure.  You may also want to
pose this question on the Micronet mail list operated by people at the
University of Guelph in Canada.  This university is cited in the above
Warren Rekow (pub907 at
HC 79, Box 104, Melba  ID  83641
Phone or fax: 208-896-4908