Yellow Moral (sic)
VPGH51A at prodigy.com
Sun Mar 5 19:12:41 EST 1995
In regards to some mushrooms making some people sick, as far as I know it
is not uncommon.
Many people eat Verpa Bohemica-
I have eaten them without any bad effects.
My wife wanted to try them, I parboiled them,
I through out the water 3 times,
I cooked the hell out of them.
I allowed her to eat 6 small ones.
She liked them and wanted more, but I would not allow it.
Now she calls them "acher-makers" and will not eat them again.
Also, beware of edible mushrooms from suburban lawns containing
pesticides or herbacides or whatever.
I never eat a new mushroom on the first find.
I always try very small amounts.
I only sample really good ones.
I eat "old friends" without hesitation, like white and yellow
chanterelles, true morels, rozites, hericium, boletus edulis and B.
mirabilis, hydenums etc...but I do not serve them to others.
I avoid mushrooms other's eat like Lepiota rachodes, sulfur shelves,
honey mushrooms, lobster mushrooms, and all amanitas.
There are no extra points for eating what you find, so eat what you like
and eat what you know. Never eat a mushroom to prove something.
JIM BERLSTEIN VPGH51A at prodigy.com
More information about the Mycology