Need meth. to distinguish endo/exo glucanase

Seanna Annis sannis at uoguelph.ca
Fri Mar 10 17:46:11 EST 1995

Christian Archambault (popa0215 at PO-Box.McGill.CA) wrote:
: I would need a method to determine if the protein we purified is an endo or exo beta-1,3 glucanase.  Any suggestion ???

: Christian Archambault
: popa0215 at po-box.mcgill.ca

You can easily do this by viscosity.  There are a lot of papers on using
the technique for determining endo and exo polygalacturonases and this
should work on glucanases depending upon what type of glucanase you
have.  If carboxy methyl cellulose is a substrate for your enzyme you can
make a viscous solution add your enzyme and then measure the viscosity at
set intervals after you added your enzyme then plot determine
the change in viscosity for each time and plot this against the reducing
sugar released by your enzyme at each time (ie an identical time course
except determine the reducing sugars released)  If the released reducing
sugars are very high with a 50 % change in the viscosity than you have an
exo enzyme otherwise if there are low levels of reducing sugar you have a
endo enzyme.   If you need more info I can provide it   otherwise" Hoffman
and Turner, 1982 physiological plant pathology" is a paper describing the
viscosity method among other methods for polygalacturonase activity
determination.  You can use the same methods on a variety of degradative
enzymes.  Good luck Seanna Annis.  sannis at uoguelph.ca