Hypoxylon fragiforme

CZAKO at CLS.BIOL.SCAROLINA.EDU CZAKO at CLS.BIOL.SCAROLINA.EDU
Sat Mar 11 13:15:21 EST 1995

     I would like to obtain a sample of Hypoxylon fragiforme or
another green Hypoxylon species. I have read a paper on a green fungal
pigment, hypoxyxylerone with great interest (Edwards RL, Fawcett V,
Maitland DJ, Nettleton R, Shields L, Whalley JS: Hypoxyxylerone. A
novel green pigment from the fungus Hypoxylon fragiforme (Pers.:
Fries) Kickx. J Chem Soc, Chem Commun 1009-10, 1991). Although,
principally I am interested in the biosynthesis of complex plant
pigments of heartwood, I like to learn about novel chromophores of
other kingdoms. Especially if it is from a fungus that may grow in
wood. Can these fungi cause green stains in woods? Basically, I try to
find out if the pigment I am dealing with is of plant or maybe
Hypoxylon origin. I know it is not due to Chlorociboria sp.
     I would greatly appreciate if one could send me a Hypoxylon
fragiforme isolate that is green, or a similar green species.

                 Dr. Mihaly Czako
                 Research Associate
                 Department of Biological Sciences
                 University of South Carolina