Morels

Jim Berlstein VPGH51A at prodigy.com
Mon Mar 13 18:58:38 EST 1995

In Regards to a morel found at UW-

Are you sure it is a morchella genus morel and not a Verpa genus early
morel?  The Verpas are wrinkly, and the head is connected to the stem
only at the top of the stem, and the stem is filled with a cottony
material. The morchellas are PITTED, not wrinkled, and the head is joined
to the stem at the base of the head, and the stem is hollow.  Would you
be willing to say where you found it? I was going down to the U on
tuesday anyway, and I would like to look for some to photograph.  I am
planning my first trip to my favorite spot near portland next week, but I
expect to find only verpas.  Please pardon me if this information is an
insult to your knowledge of morels. Happy hunting.

-
  JIM BERLSTEIN  VPGH51A at prodigy.com