hyphal tips

mspear mspear at telerama.lm.com
Sun Mar 19 11:26:40 EST 1995

Novo Nordisk Biotech (nnbt at netcom.com) wrote:
> Are there any experts out there with (successful) experience in hyphal
> tip isolations? I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used
> the technique for obtaining "purified" strains/transformants. Perhaps you
> know of alternatives for obtaining colonies derived from
> propagules/hyphal fragments containing single nuclei in species with
> multinucleate spores? If
> so, and you would like to share the information, please mail me at the
> address below. Thanks!

> Wendy T. Yoder

> E-mail: windy at nnbt.com

> Novo Nordisk Biotech Inc,
> 1445 Drew Avenue
> Davis CA 95616 USA

The techniques are as simple as the name.  With some fungi you can
make your life easier by using a low nutrient medium to get thinner,
less branching colonies.

Be careful though, our experience suggests that at least sometimes the
entire genetic complement is not carried in a single hyphal tip.

    ---- Mark