black morel and woodland russula

Ken Sanderson ksanders at ccinet.ab.ca
Tue Mar 28 01:06:31 EST 1995

At the request of a local natural club I am doing a foray on the edible
mushrooms in the area.  My fist one will be on the black morel
(Morchella elata).  I am looking for stories, legends and facts.
I am also looking for any good recipies as well as any hints on
collecting and preporation.  What is the best way to get rid of the worms
I find in even the youngest morel?

Second,  is there any other mushroom that has the distinctive shrimp or
fishy smell that the woodland (shrimp) russula (Russula xerampelina) has?
The ones I find never seem to exactly fit the desc in the guides.

Thanks in advance

Ken Sanderson