antibiotics

Paul Stewart stewart at bud.peinet.pe.ca
Tue Mar 28 16:54:10 EST 1995

Two questions for the group:

	Does anyone know of a non-prescription preparation from a
pharmacy or elsewhere that contains antibiotics suitable for inclusion in
agar media? (eg Polysporin = polymixin B sulfate and bacitracin)

	I recently tried, on the advice of a lab tech friend of mine,
using gelatin as the base for media instead of agar. After autoclaving,
it finally (after an hour) solidified to form a nice solid-looking slant.
But after being in the incubator at 25-27 C overnight the damn stuff
liquified! Does anyone else have similar experience with alternate media?
How about pectin, or a mix of gelatin and agar. My present agar source is
from a chinese grocery, but gelatin would be cheaper still.

ABIOGEN c/o Paul Stewart
RR #2 Vernon Bridge
Prince Edward Island
CANADA    C0A 2E0