Mycorrhiza/Arctic help

Vikram Prabhu prabhuv at duke.usask.ca
Tue Mar 28 10:22:27 EST 1995

Aubrey Jackson (yu122562 at laurel.yorku.ca) wrote:
: I am trying to find information on the importance of mycorrhizae
: activity to the growth of arctic plants.  I specifically need to know
: if there are any good articles out there.  Any help will be
: appreciated.  Thanks
: 			A.J.

See article in Nature (1993 I think) by Stewart Chapin and others on
arctic plants using organic nitrogen, with no evidence of mycorrhizal
colonization. (Most plants anyhow readily use free amino acids and
peptides when supplied).
Finding mycorrhiza-like fungal colonization in plants is not necessarily
a good indication of the physiological role for the fungi, though some
recent papers indicate that Phialophora, Phialocephala etc colonize
alpine/arctic plants. These fungi exhibit a variety of symbiotic
relationships with plants, depending on the plant and "environmental"
conditions.

Vik Prabhu