black morel and ...

Lorelei Norvell lorelei at TELEPORT.COM
Thu Mar 30 15:27:38 EST 1995

Dear Mike --
	I bet you live somewhere besides the Pacific Northwest.  I have
been gathering morels for over 20 years and have adopted a philosophical
approach to the extra protein.  There are some occasions when I have
found larva-free morels, but for the most part those (gathered in the
coniferous region of the Blue Mountains in eastern Oregon) I do find have
a population of beasties in direct proportion to the inferred age of the
morel.  (I am referring to what I call Morchella elata/angusticeps (aka
M. conica).
	It appears that those morels in the Morchella esculenta group
tend to have far fewer larvae.
	I have soaked the morels in salt water, then drained them.
Before doing so, I usually cut each morel either in circlets or
length-wise to determine the amount of infestation (a good idea to also
get rid of the occasional milipede curled up in the top of the cap.).
This also reveals the "ground" color -- if the black morel has an
orangish cast and is black on the surface, I will toss it.  It will
usually also have a very strong odor, indicative of having been above
ground for a very long time.
 Lorelei

On 30 Mar 1995, Mike Hoffelder wrote:

> Ken Sanderson <ksanders at ccinet.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> >   ..... What is the best way to get rid of the worms
> >   I find in even the youngest morel?
>
> What kind of worms do you find in morels?!?!
> I have been gathering morels for 25 years,
> and have found very few pests inhabiting morels.
> I have found only a couple of slugs and a few
> wood lice in my whole 25 year morel experience.

lorelei at teleport.COM  Public Access User --- Not affiliated with Teleport
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-14400, N81)