Morels gone bad!?

Lorelei Norvell lorelei at TELEPORT.COM
Fri May 5 01:02:08 EST 1995

	I too have reasoned that morels simply dry in situ.  But I have
found that the very large morels that have been morels a lonnnnngggg
while are very strong and taste terrible.  These usually will have
somewhat orange stipes.  The stipes additionally will appear coarsely
granular.
	We also have noted that there appears to be a larger percentage
of poisonings from drier areas of Oregon -- near the Blue Mountains --
every spring.  I suspect this may in fact be due to spoilage occurring on
site.
	My feeling is that if you recognize what a good morel tastes like
-- and more importantly what a good morel smells like when fresh -- you
probably won't go wrong.
	Also -- I have found that what appears irresistible in the field
often appears less than tempting in the kitchen.  It may have something
to do with the abated fervor AFTER the hunt.

Lorelei Norvell