morels in Eastern Canada

Paul Stewart stewart at bud.peinet.pe.ca
Fri May 19 00:02:17 EST 1995

Here in Prince Edward Island, Canada (~46N Latitude) I found a dozen or
so morels about 1-2 inches high starting a week ago, in sandy soil
covered with moss under black spruce trees less than 10 years old. I
thought they were M. esculenta but on closer inspection they had the same
radially arranged furrows as M. elata. Is this a rare species? Where is
it usually found? The short mention in Stamets's recent book suggests it
belongs to the "black morel" group along with M. angustifolia. Does this
mean it may be cultured as that species described in his text, in rye
grass seed cased with peat moss and CaSO4? I put some tissue onto MYA and
OMYA just in case I find out eventually. Are morels considered
mycorrhizal? If so, on what roots, of trees?

On a more general line, what is the youngest tree age expected to support
mycorrhizal mushrooms? I heard trees need to be 30-40 years old, but I
have found chanterelles under much younger spruce and pine (10-15
years). Is it possible that the root systems of previous trees after a
clearcut still support the mycorrhizal mycelia until it can get a
foothold on younger trees that grow in next? Does this suggest that
mycelial communities such as morel or chanterelle could be dozens, even
hundreds of years old? It seems to me that there are never enough of
these fungi around to replenish or sustain the mycelial network in the soil.
I'm looking for ideas to enhance what's already there but not dense
enough or whatever to produce fruiting. The morels seemed to explode from
the ground a few days after a freak sleet storm that left 2-3 inches of
wet snow on the ground for three days, then just as suddenly melted. For
more flushes could this be repeated with crushed ice or snow from a local
rink, dumped on the same spot in a few weeks?

In case all this seems too frivolous to respond to, here's an easy one:

Anyone know of a WWW or other site where I can find back issues of
McIlvanea the mushroom journal? Thanks all...guess we get morels here
after everyone else is done with them.

ABIOGEN c/o Paul Stewart
RR #2 Vernon Bridge
Prince Edward Island