gene clusters

Chuck Staben staben at ukcc.uky.edu
Sun May 21 08:57:08 EST 1995

griffin at mailbox.syr.edu (David H. Griffin) wrote:
It's a little obvious, but the mating type idiomorphs frequently contain
clusters of genes serving different functions in a related pathway.
I know this is a special case, but it is perhaps a useful example.
Is this clustering evidence that genes under selection can become
linked?

Second, I think that both S. cerevisiae and A. nidulans are the fungi
most likely to provide data relevant to this question.  The
yeast genome project is obvious.  Jonathan Arnold's genome work, and
rumors of a DBEST project for Aspergillus suggest that information of
a similar type may soon be available for Aspergillus.

> Is anyone looking at the evolution of genome organization, specifically
> clustering of genes with related functions.

 Any ideas on the