Boletus edulis culture

Sat May 20 20:39:55 EST 1995

In article <Pine.A32.3.91j.950518131006.124603B-100000@
homer10.u.washington.edu>, Thomas O'Dell <todell at u.washington.edu> writes:
>Have you seen Pantidou's papers from the early 60's?
>Can J. Bot. 40:1313
>ibid 42:1147

Yes.

>Fertile sporocarps of several boletes have been obtained in culture
>(though i don't think it has been repeated and I'm sure that edulis was
>not one of te species, maybe not even Boletus spp. but other bolete genera).

B. rubinellus, mostly, because of it's typically small size.
That system appears to have been used by several researchers.  B. edulis has
been reported cultured in Poland, but I have not run across any replications
of that work by other researchers- I'd like to hear about them if someone
has done that kind of thing.  A few others in the boletaceae have also
been mentioned.  I suspect that many times B. edulis makes it to the kitchen
before it gets into the lab.  As I said in my original post, this is not
a completely unprecedented thing.  I think that the interesting point is
that the primordia formed in a system as small as a parafilm-sealed Petri
dish (with appropriate lag time & room temp.), and with a medium as simple
as non-acidified PDA.

>By the way, if that is really B. barrowsii that would probably be the
>first record for the species outside of the southwest... was there
>Ponderosa (or other) pine in the vicinity? (it may be pine specific).
>It could be a pale edulis or B. pinicola...

B. barrowsii is also said to associate with oak in California.  The caps
were very white, not appearing to be merely faded or paler.  Cap cuticles
were not all that thick, and were non-viscid.  Morphology similar to B.
edulis, but a bit smaller.  There were no ponderosa pine nearby- they were
in a Garry oak (Quercus garryana) meadow.  The late spring fruiting was a
bit of a surpize, and I know that there are supposed to be some pale B.
edulis forms kicking around up here- now that you have me doubting what's
what, we'll have to take another look at the samples to be certain.

Its great to see so many people out there keen to know about boletes- I'm
certainly not a bolete expert, but I would definitely like to learn more.
Thanks for your post.  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773