C. gigantea mycorhizzal?

Sigvard Svensson Sigvard.Svensson at botmus.lu.se
Fri Nov 3 17:24:38 EST 1995

In article <47ammr$gsq at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, jmiller592 at aol.com
(JMiller592) wrote:

>Is Calvatia gigantea commonly known to be mycorhizzal with grasses?
>
>I was recently struck by the appearance of a bright green ring (1 meter
>thick, 6.5 meters in diameter) of grass in an otherwise yellowing hay
>meadow.  Calvatia gigantea was fruiting, fairy ring fashion, in the green
>band.  The fungus was apparently providing something of use to the grass,
>and I wondered if there was a mycorhizzal association.
>
>JJ Miller
>Charleston, WV

As far as I know they are saprotrophs and nitrophilous. The phenomena you
describe of much greener grass where the fruitbodies occur, commonly
referred to as a fairy ring, are usually considered an effect of the
myceliums decomposition of dead (grass) litter etc. This is rather well
described in the litterature and a good illustration of the phenomena
could be found in Ingold: "The biology of fungi", p.99. London 1961, ISBN
0 09 13 88 61 9. Unfortunately I do not have access to Aroras "Mushrooms
demystified", but considering all positive citations of it, I would be
surprised if he not mentions this phenomena also.

Regards
/Sigvard

Sigvard Svensson
Mycologist, Computer-Adviser, SDA
E-mail: Sigvard.Svensson at botmus.lu.se

Tel: 046-222 40 61 (Int.:+46 46 222 40 61)
Fax: 046-222 42 34 (Int.:+46 46 222 42 34)
Telex: 812 6154 352 SICS
Teletex: 2401-812 6154 352=SICS

Botanical museum
Oestra Vallgatan 18
S-223 61 Lund, Sweden
Internpost: HS 22
[understands MIME]

Microsoft Corporation is prohibited from redistributing this work in any form, in whole or in part. Copyright Sigvard Svensson. License to distribute this post is available to Microsoft for $1000. Posting without permission constitutes an agreement to these terms. Please send notices of violation to Postmaster at Microsoft.com.