Favorite DNA isolation protocol

Chris Skory skorycd at ncaur1.ncaur.gov
Tue Nov 7 08:39:53 EST 1995

I apologize if this topic has shown up before on this news group.
But, I was wondering what methods fellow molecular biologist
working with filamentous fungi prefer for isolating genomic DNA
from fungi.  I've tried numerous methods and am not very content
with any particular one.  Do most of you use CsCl or CTAB for
getting rid of carbohydrate?  The best luck I have had with
isolating high quality genomic DNA has been with grinding in
liquid nitrogen (with mortar and pestle), extracting a few times
with phenol/chlor, and finally separating with CsCl.
Unfortunately, this procedure is very time consuming.  Any other
input??

Christopher D. Skory, Ph.D.
Research Microbiologist

National Center for Agricultural