Blewits (Clitocybe) in North Carolina?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Tue Nov 7 04:08:48 EST 1995

In article <47bgej$nqv at castle.nando.net>,
Bill Chestnut <unicorn1 at nando.net> wrote:

>  Is this the Blewit, Clitocybe nuda, or one of it's relatives (edible,
> hopefully)? Anyone in the NC(Raleigh) area having positively ID'd this
> beast? I've got several pounds of them growing in my flowerbeds!!

It sounds like you've gotten close enough to start testing.  Eat only
a very small amount to start, and gradually increase the amount you
eat.  Wait 24 hours between tests.

I've eaten lepista nuda (clitocybe nuda) and have found the flavor to
be highly variable.  Sometimes the flavor is so strong as to be
unpleasant.  Other times it is acceptable, but I wouldn't place this
as one of the real gourmet species.  If the taste in NC is different
from Oregon I'd be very interested to hear about it.

-- Larry Caldwell           larryc at teleport.com
   Myrtle Creek, Oregon