Blewits (Clitocybe) in North Carolina?

Bob Galvan kasplash at crl.com
Tue Nov 7 10:56:49 EST 1995

In article <hClnw0O5IwVQ084yn at teleport.com>,
Larry Caldwell <larryc at teleport.com> wrote:

>In article <47bgej$nqv at castle.nando.net>,
>Bill Chestnut <unicorn1 at nando.net> wrote:
>
>>  Is this the Blewit, Clitocybe nuda, or one of it's relatives (edible,
>> hopefully)? Anyone in the NC(Raleigh) area having positively ID'd this
>> beast? I've got several pounds of them growing in my flowerbeds!!
>

>It sounds like you've gotten close enough to start testing.  Eat only
>a very small amount to start, and gradually increase the amount you
>eat.  Wait 24 hours between tests.

I disagree heartily!  My impression from the written discription, now
vanished in the bit-bucket, was that it "sounds like a Cortinarious to me".

I recommend you find someone who can ID it for sure, in person, before you
eat it.   Long distance mushroom ID is good for suggestions, but it has
severe limitations.

"If in doubt, throw it out."
			    -Johnnie Cochran 8^)

Bob Galvan