need info. on fungi-eating mammals

Michael Muirhead hrcfloat at qcc.island.net
Wed Nov 8 21:37:49 EST 1995

In article <Angel.Montesinos-0611950952550001 at geomac15.geomet.uv.es>,
   Angel.Montesinos at uv.es (Angel Montesinos Amilibia) wrote:
>In article <Sigvard.Svensson-0311952326480001 at sigvard.botmus.lu.se>,
>Sigvard.Svensson at botmus.lu.se (Sigvard Svensson) wrote:
>
>> In article <46sicb$hlp at wumpus.cc.uow.edu.au>, gitv45 at wumpus.cc.uow.edu.au
>> (VAN TETS IAN G) wrote:
>>
>> >        While some work on fungi-eating marsupials has been done here, I
>> >have been unable to find very much on mammals feeding on fungi outside
>> >Australia.  If someone knows any refernces related to this topic, could
>> >they please forward them to me?  My Email address is gitv45 at uow.edu.au
>
> I have also observed squirrels eating Boletus (Suillus) luteus, and
>sheeps eating Tricholoma terreum.

Here on the Queen Charlottes, I have observed Sitka Blacktail Deer and squirrels eating
Cantharellus cibarius... the squirrels also seem quite fond of Boletus edulis,
Cantharellus tubaeiformis and Russula xerampelina.  If the mushrooms are small enough to
carry, squirrels will often leave half-chewed caps sitting on stumps or logs, several
yards from where they grew.

         Livin' on island time
Michael Muirhead <hrcfloat at qcc.island.net>
  Box 255  Masset  BC   V0T 1M0   Canada