Blewits (Clitocybe) in North Carolina?

Sigvard Svensson Sigvard.Svensson at botmus.lu.se
Fri Nov 10 18:56:18 EST 1995

In article <rllow0O5Iomc084yn at teleport.com>, larryc at teleport.com (Larry
Caldwell)
wrote:

(cut)

>I no longer feed wild mushrooms to untested people.  I had never heard of
>an emetic reaction to slippery jacks, but in this case I was obviously
>over-optimistic.

Just a comment first to the original posting: Do not ever gamble with
fungi as food!
As some of the earlier replies wrote "if in doubt, through it out"!

Concerning emetic reactions to Suillus species I remember seeing something
about the slimy cap cuticle being responsible. I could not find the
reference just now, though. Furthermore  people tend to be VERY
individually sensitive to mushrooms. A friend of mine can not eat
chanterelles, another is getting ill if he eats Russulas...!
I completely agree with your final statement!

Sigvard

"...with all this horse manure, there's just got
to be a pony in there somewhere."
(Technology Review Nov/Dec 95 p66)

Sigvard Svensson
Mycologist, IT-Adviser, SDA
E-mail: Sigvard.Svensson at botmus.lu.se

Tel: 046-222 40 61 (Int.:+46 46 222 40 61)
Fax: 046-222 42 34 (Int.:+46 46 222 42 34)
Telex: 812 6154 352 SICS
Teletex: 2401-812 6154 352=SICS

Botanical museum
Oestra Vallgatan 18