Mushroom poisoning of dogs

Richard W. Kerrigan rwk at sylvanres.com
Mon Nov 13 11:28:42 EST 1995

On a recent visit to Colorado I met with Marilyn Shaw and learned, to my
surprise, that mushroom poisoning of dogs is fairly common and well
documented.  She works with the Rocky Mountain Poison Control Center.  Her
address is 510 Dexter, Denver, CO (sorry I don't have the zip at hand).

-- Rick (sig follows)

Stephan Helfer (S.Helfer at rbge.org.uk) wrote:
: Dear Adolf
: There is a publication in MYCOLOGIST 8, page 50-51(1994) by Philippa
: Yam, myself and Roy Watling here at Edinburgh. The case involved a
: Springer Spaniel who had eaten Inocybe phaeocomis (apparently
: preferentially) and was admitted to the small animals clinic of the
: Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies with
: obvious symptoms of poisoning. The dog eventually recovered after
: emergency treatment and care at the clinic.

: A letter to the editor of The Veterinary Record by the same authors
: was also published (Vol 133, page 24; 1993).

: I have since been told by readers of the Mycologist that similar
: poisonings have happened before [Labrador dog, again involving Inocybe
: sp. (probably lacera), in southern England]. Unfortunately most of
: these cases never get recorded.

: I wonder if there is any scent or taste in certain Inocybe species
: under certain circumstances which lead to this unusual behaviour in
: dogs. The Spaniel had never been known to forage for mushrooms before in her
: life, I don't know about the Labrador.

: Yours sincerely

: Dr Stephan Helfer, SSO
: Mycologist / Plant Pathologist

: Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, Inverleith Row, EDINBURGH EH3 5LR,
: Scotland UK

: email:
: s.helfer at rbge.org.uk

: phone: +44 (0)131 552 7171 ext 280
:     or +44 (0)131 459 0446-280 (direct digital VoiceMail line)
: fax:   +44 (0)131 552 0382
--
Richard W. Kerrigan, Research Department, Sylvan Spawn Laboratory, Inc.
               1163 Winfield Rd., Cabot, PA  16032  USA