Mushroom poisoning of dogs

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Thu Nov 16 03:50:35 EST 1995


In article <47v6k0$h2v at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>,
Stephan Helfer <S.Helfer at rbge.org.uk> wrote:

> I wonder if there is any scent or taste in certain Inocybe species 
> under certain circumstances which lead to this unusual behaviour in 
> dogs. The Spaniel had never been known to forage for mushrooms before in her 
> life, I don't know about the Labrador.

Dogs are more omnivorous than many people believe.  Over the years I have
had several dogs that ate berries, maize, apples, nuts and other vegetables
with no prompting.  I once had a cat who devoured half a cap of clitocybe
sudorifica, much to its discomfort.  The cat recovered, but the poisoning
was spectacularly moist.

-- Larry Caldwell           larryc at teleport.com
   Myrtle Creek, Oregon



More information about the Mycology mailing list