Blewits (Clitocybe) in North Carolina?

Larry Caldwell larryc at teleport.com
Thu Nov 16 03:50:23 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.951110084749.19346C-100000 at kelly.teleport.com>,
lorelei at TELEPORT.COM (Lorelei Norvell) wrote:

> Re Cortinarius:

> 	Ahem.  Larry is correct in all but one statement.  Cortinarii
> also can be found in large cespitose clusters.  It depends on the
> Cortinarius.

Thanks for your comments, Lorelei.  To expand on this theme a bit more,
no one characteristic of a fruiting body can give a reliable field
identification.  For example, despite their name, not all cortinarii
have veils.  Not all cortinarii fruit singly.  Some cortinarii are
found with no obvious tree association.  When you examine all the
characteristics, though, you can make a pretty reliable field ID.

Caution is always indicated.  I think of mushroom pot hunting as
equivalent to hunting lions.  If you get the wrong mushroom, you're
dead.  I always do a second identification in the kitchen sink under
a bright fluorescent light.  Many times I've found that in the shadows
and rain I've misidentified a mushroom in the field.

Developing an unfamiliar ( to me ) species for the kitchen is always a
cautious process.  If there's any real doubt, I use reagents and a
microscope to nail down a solid ID before I ever eat the first sample.

-- Larry Caldwell           larryc at teleport.com
   Myrtle Creek, Oregon