Medicinal Fungi, online info.

Roger Granet rag55 at cas.org
Fri Nov 17 19:01:41 EST 1995

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.951114214014.14123A-100000 at web3.calweb.com>, Bruce Duncan <hatter at web3.calweb.com> writes:
> Hi.  Looking for information on human studies involving _Ganoderma
> lucidum_, _Lentinus edodes_, _Poria_ species, or other genera/species re
> medicinal effects.  Most studies appear to be Chinese or Japanese, and
> haven't been translated into English... help appreciated.

Bruce,

    Hi.  From a quick search of the CAplus file produced by the database I
work at, Chemical Abstracts Service, I found 1659 abstracts with the search
terms Lentinus, Ganoderma, or Poria.  Of these, 35 were reviews.  Of these,            a couple of interesting looking ones dealing with medicinal effects were:

o Mizuno, Takashi, Wang, Guanying, Zhang, Jie, Kawagishi, Hirokazu, Nishitoba,
  Tsuyoshi, Li, Jingxuan; Reishi, Ganoderma lucidum and Ganoderma tsugae:
  Bioactive substances and medicinal effects, Food Rev.  Int.  (1995), 11(1),
  151-66

o Mizuno, Takashi; Shiitake, Lentinus edodes: Functional properties for
  medicinal and food purposes, Food Rev.  Int.  (1995), 11(1), 111-28

The authors were from Japan, but the articles themselves are in English.  And,
all our abstracts and indexing are in English.  I hope this is useful.

    A lot of people think that Chemical Abstracts has only chemical infor-
mation, but, a third of the 600,000 or so abstracts (journals, patents,
conference proceedings, etc.) we put out every year come from our bio-related
areas and include abstracts like the above ones.  To search on some of the
other papers in this area, check with your science or main librarian to find
out if your organization already has an account with us or call our customer
service desk.

    Well, I hope this helps!  Good luck!

							       Roger

Roger Granet                                 Phone: (614) 447-3600, ext. 2346
Associate Scientific Information Analyst     Internet: rgranet at cas.org
Biochemistry Department
Chemical Abstracts Service
P.O. box 3012
Columbus, OH 43210

CAS Customer Service: 1-800-753-4227 or by email to: help at cas.org
STN Help Desk: 1-800-848-6533 (in North America) or (+49)7247/808-555 (in
	       Europe) or (+81)3-5214-8413 (in Asia)
Web site at: http://info.cas.org/welcome.html

The views given here are mine only and do not necessarily represent those of
anyone else, Chemical Abstracts Service, or the American Chemical Society.