amanita phalloides

Tom McCloud mccloud at dtpax2.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Nov 22 20:52:53 EST 1995

In article <48tbn6$dtp at newsbf02.news.aol.com> wildcity at aol.com (Wild City) writes:
>From: wildcity at aol.com (Wild City)
>Subject: amanita phalloides
>Date: 21 Nov 1995 15:10:14 -0500

>Does anyone have any statistics on how many people in the USA have died in
>the last ten years from eating the death cap. Or do you know where I might
>be able to get this information. Also, this is an introduced species.
>Where and when did it come into the US?
>Thanks in advance for your response.

On page 204 of 'Mushrooms: poisons and panaceas' by Denis R. Benjamin  (W.H.
Freeman & Co. NY 1995)  he writes " There is speculation that it is not native
to the United States but the mechanism of introduction of A. phalloides into
this country is unknown."    ------  suggests introduction from European
nursery stock in the 1920's or 30's.              You might want to read the
book for yourself.   It is replete with literature references.   And
unanswered questions might then go to Dr. Benjamin.          Tom McCloud