Does mushroom picking damage or encourage the Mycelium?

Steven Carpenter microbe at PEAK.ORG
Thu Nov 23 09:52:00 EST 1995

The disturbance by raking for #1, unexpanded, unsurfaced Matsutake
(Tricholoma magnavelare) has gotten so bad in the Deschutes National
Forest in Oregon that the US Forest Service has even published a handout
in Laotian script to describe the disastrous effects of deep-raking the
forest-floor.  Isolated picking might not be so bad, but the hordes of
people by the hundreds seeking "white gold" will take its toll.  Greed
and ignorance are the main culprits.  The #1 Matsutakes come at such
a high price, that people will destroy the rhizosphere looking for them,
and undoubtedly destroy next year's crop at that site as well.  It
doesn't take a million-dollar NSF grant to figure that one out (if you
had seen what raking does, you would be convinced; I have heard
trufflers claim that raking doesn't hurt anything, but they also
haven't published anything to prove that is true!)

I am unaware of any GOOD, published scientific works on the effects of
picking and how different modes of picking may affect local ecosystems or
microenvironments.  There may be some studies going on right now, but
whether they have made it through rigorous statistical analysis and peer
review remains to be seen.  I believe the Germans were doing some work
in the early 1980's, but I haven't seen or sought the references.

-Steven E. Carpenter
 Cascade Research Associates
  & Abbey Lane Laboratory
 microbe at peak.org