Does mushroom picking damage or encourage the Mycelium?

Jim Berlstein VPGH51A at prodigy.com
Sun Nov 26 21:00:48 EST 1995

Re: Mushroom picking

    While chanterrelle picking may not harm future chanterelle production,
 (indeed they seem to "pop" right off as if designed to be dragged away
by animals) I think the way I saw people "strip mining" for matsutakes on
old maid flats (near portland) several years ago could not possibly be
good for the environment.  I suspect that matsutake picking is the
exception, and that as long as mushrooms are picked primarily above
ground no harm is done.

-
  JIM BERLSTEIN, B.F.D.-    VPGH51A at prodigy.com