Q: can two fungal species mate and reproduce new species?

until at teleport.com until at teleport.com
Mon Nov 27 15:44:13 EST 1995

I've been told by a horticulturist that it's possible for two
different fungal species to mate and reproduce a third
species.  Is this really possible?  What would be the
limitations--as in, would the two species have to be closely
related?  Would the offspring fungus be able to reproduce
itself--or would it be sterile?  What kind of spore-dispersal
mechanisms would be dominant and passed on to the
offspring fungus in relation to other spore-dispersal mechanisms?

In the two books (_not_ ID books) I have about fungi and their
spores, nothing like this is mentioned.  So, is this completely
speculative, or is this possible?

    - Tara K. Harper
         until at teleport.com

/   Even a thought   /
/     Even a possibility can shatter us and transform us   /
/                    - Nietzsche   /