Spore Germination?

Steven Carpenter microbe at PEAK.ORG
Tue Nov 28 00:46:43 EST 1995

30C could be a bit hot for many wild fungi.  This is a good bacterial
temperature for germination/growth of gut-fungi, but fungal spores
hit the environment in the fall, when conditions are cool.  You might
try a cooler temp.

-Steven E. Carpenter, Ph.D.
 Cascade Research Associates & Abbey Lane Laboratory
 microbe at peak.org

Tom Volk (tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu) wrote:
: r3603203 at CC.NTU.EDU.TW (r3603203) wrote:
: >
: >I did monospore isolation with water agar and fine metal >thread under microscopy. The agar that contained a single > spore was cut=
:  and the isolated spore was cultured into >PDA slants at 30 degree Celsius, but the germination rate >was very low.  Only 10 slants =
: out of 200 slants >germinated, did I do anything wrong?

: We do many single spore isolations for our work on
: Armillaria, Laetiporus, Phellinus and many species of wood
: decay fungi.  You don;t say what species you are trying to
: grow, but many species have a very low spore germination
: rate.You might have to try another kind of medium, but
: since you are having some success with germination, you are
: probably better off (more efficient) spreading the spores
: on agar, waiting for the spores to germinate, and picking
: the "germlings" that consist of 1-5 cells.  Thus you are
: spending your time picking only viable individuals.

: Good luck.
: ---Tom

: Tom Volk                                     (000)
: Center for Forest Mycology Research,        (00000)
: Forest Products Lab, Madison Wisconsin       (000)
: & UW- Madison Dept. of Botany                (000)
: tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu                      | |
: http://www.wisc.edu/botany/fungi/volkmyco.html