molds 2 types- Fusarium & Rhizopus

Christian Velten cve at ifm.mh-hannover.de
Tue Oct 3 05:47:31 EST 1995

In article <44h8qs$gr1 at ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>, "Edward D. Shell"
<dwights at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> My allergist said I was allergic to  these kinds of mold but didn't say
> where they grew or what caused them.  I would like to know where they
> originate and how to avoid them. Any brain expanding information would be
> appreciated.  Thanks.

Just to give you some basic scientific informations:

Fusarium

world wide distributed roup of asexual fungi (belong to Fungi Imperfecti);
some are unsexual sporulating forms of insect parasitic fungi; some of
them are plant parasites (corn, potatoe); I suppose that the spores are
the allergenic agent; some Fusarium species are able to produce specific
mycotoxins, and can cause alimentary toxic aleurie; some can cause
mycoallergoses and asthma bronchiale; single species have been found in or
on: soil, oil paint, building material, corn, maize, ham, fruits, paper,
wood, leather, etc.

Rhizopus

group of fungi that achieve rapid spread over the substrate layer by means
of stout rapidly-growing aerial hyphae (stolons); yeast-like growth has
been also described for some species; some can cause mycoallergoses and
asthma bronchiale; Rhizopus species are involved in production of some
asian food: tempe (kedele), sufu, ontjom; single species have been found
in or on: backside of paintings, rice, corn, maize, bread, poultry, beef,
fruits, paper, leather, etc.

Both Fusarium and Rhizopus represent a group of fungi species. It would be
much more helpfull to know what species the causing agents are! The above
listed sites of detection were mainly done by qualitative analysis. that
does not mean that you should avoid all of them, because in most of them
you´ve got only quantitative low amounts. Ask your doctor, he should know
(or know someone to ask). In case of asthma bronchiale astmoigene molds
have been found in soil, on leaves, not correct stored fruits and
vegetables. With any mycoallergose you should avoid any rooms where the
air could be contaminated with amounts of spores ("wet" rooms, humid
cellars, etc.). Any professional work in a factory that produces food or
farm products (often causes and) forces the problem. Avoid the soil of
your room plants.

Christian

--
        "Two bands or not two bands? - THAT is the question!"

Christian Velten
Institute for Molecular Biology                cve at ifm.mh-hannover.de
Medical School Hannover                        Compuserve:100736,2071
OE 5250, Konstanty-Gutschow-Straße 8           Tel.: 0511/532-5957
D-30623 Hannover, Germany                      Fax:  0511/532-4283