Laetiporus sulphureus Poisoning: Request for examples

Peter Mullin pgm2 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 6 01:46:42 EST 1995


Regarding Laetiporus poisoning:
   It has been my experience that certain people are more sensitive to
whatever factors in this fungus cause gastric upset than others.  In cases
like this, trial-and-error is the only way to find out...
   Also, consuming older parts of the fruit body (which often happens when
people get "greedy") can result in episodes of vomiting and/or diarrhea. 
This is also the case with Grifola frondosa (Hen-of-the-woods) and
Polyporus squamosus (Dryad's saddle).  For best results, eat only
well-cooked, young, tender edges of the basidiocarp and only eat small
quantitites of the mushroom when trying it for the first time.
   It is remotely possible that some reports of poisoning ascribed to this
fungus may be due to eager collectors mistaking Omphalotus olearius (an
orange, **gilled** fungus which is poisonous) for Laetiporus, but most
people won't make this error.
   The host on which the fungus grows may also have an effect.  My own
experience here in the Northeast is similar to that of Dr. Worrall:  I
have experienced no ill effects from Laetiporus colected locally (usually
on oak or hemlock stumps).

   Peter.



More information about the Mycology mailing list