Boletus

Gareth Renowden gren at gram.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 03:10:50 EST 1995

In article <45e2ab$7uu at hbu005.uk.sb.com>, Ian Francis
<Ian_Francis-1%notes at sb.com> wrote:

> I was Wondering if any of the Boletus family (that grow in the UK) are
> Poisionous to eat, or maybe just inedible.

Boletus satanus is said to be poisonous, but is thankfully rare (see Roger
Philips' very useful photographic guide - Pan Books). It is also bright
red. Apart from that one, there's just the bitter bolete, which is
inedible simply because it is incredibly bitter (said to have been used to
make gin bitter). Unfortunately, it looks similar to a cepe, though with
practice it is easy to tell the difference (bigger ones have a pinkish
tinge, and lack the fine white 'net' over the stem).