microsatellites in filamentous fungi?

Paul Zambino paulz at PUCCINI.CRL.UMN.EDU
Fri Oct 13 13:03:37 EST 1995

>Does anyone know something about microsatellites (or simple sequences) in
>filamentous fungi? I have found a repetetive sequence in our fungus
>(Claviceps, ascomycete) with homology to a human microsatellite sequence. As
>this sequence seems to occur in multiple copies in our fungus and consists of
>a short, repeated nucleotide motif,, I tend to believe it to be a fungal
>microsatellite. But, in the literature (I went back one year in the CC Life
>Science issues) and databanks (EMBL and Genbank) I found only animal, plant
>and yeast examples.

Human microsatellites have been used to detect polymorphisms in
Colletotrichum gloeosporioides, (see Braithwaite and Manners, 1989, Curr.
Genet. 16:473-475).  But many other fungi have dispersed elements and short
repeats of various sorts, including trinucleotide simple sequence repeats
(SSRs).  See DeScenzo and Harrington, Phytopathology 84:534-540, Hamer et
al., PNAS 86:9981-9985, Kistler et al., Phytopathology 81:331-336, Levy et
al., Plant Cell 3:95-102. Paul

Dr. Paul Zambino
USDA Forest Service
Forestry Sciences Lab