Why can't tropical Orchid Mycorhyzae survive in temperate greenhouses?

A.Pasmur AJP3 at acpub.duke.edu
Sat Oct 14 13:51:01 EST 1995

    Hi,
    Very often, I've seen ideal conditions for root-fungus symbionts in the pots of
greenhouse orchids.  Plant debris regularly accumulates everywhere in conservatories
-- even on top of orchid roots. So why could't we bring some samples of the various
epiphytic Mycorhyzae from the tropics and infuse potted orchids with them?  It would
eliminate the need for a vast assortment of artificial fertilizers and perhaps make
for a far more natural and productive growing environment -- wouldn't it?