Science or hobby?

JohnPitkin at MSU JohnPitkin at MSU
Fri Oct 20 08:34:45 EST 1995

What has happened to the myconet?  It was originally created and used for
the exchange of scientific information relating to fungal research, but it
now being used primarily for mushroom hobby information.  The FAQ info for
the group clearly states what the group was created for, so my question is
why have the discussions on the myconet changed?  I seem to recall that
there have been mushroom hobby newsgroups advertised... are they still out
there?  I have nothing against the hobbyists out there but it seems that the
research scientists are not using this site anymore due to the hobby
messages that one must weed through in order to join the scientific
discussions.
John Pitkin
MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory
Michigan State University