Shiitakes and black mushrooms - Latin names - please help!

Jerry Haugen mycowrld at cdsnet.net
Fri Oct 20 22:49:57 EST 1995

Roman Trusnik <trusnik at risc.upol.cz> wrote:
>I need at least the Latin name of these mushrooms:

> 1. Shiitake mushrooms
      Currently: Lentinula edodes
      Formerly:  Lentinus edodes
> 2. Black mushrooms, mo-or or "tree ear" (according to the book, these
> should be synonymous)
       This is more difficult.
       Perhaps you mean Auricularia polytricha?
       I'm sure the taxonomists can offer more help.

There is a book in print that has many common names for many species.
I suspect it would have the common names you are looking for.  I don't
have a copy, but could track down the title for you.

Jerry, Editor
The Mushroom Growers' Newsletter
MycoWrld at cdsnet.net