Neurospora and carbon sources

Brett Tyler bmtyler at UCDAVIS.EDU
Fri Oct 27 11:22:21 EST 1995

In our experience, Neurospora conidia germinate slowly and
non-synchronously on poor carbon sources such as glycerol, quinate and
acetate.  We have had much better results by germinating the conidia in
sucrose for 4 to 8 hours, then harvesting and washing the germlings by
filtration and reinoculating them into the carbon source of interest.

>To all Neurospora enthusiasts:
>I would like to try growing Neurospora in liquid culture (and
>possibly plates), using either lactate or succinate as sole (or main)
>carbon source. If you have any experience or know any references on
>how well or badly Neurospora conidiospores germinate or grow on these
>carbon sources and at what concentration, I would appreciate learning
>about it. Thanks.
>Nora Plesofsky-Vig
>nora at

Brett Tyler