Single Mycology Topic is Good

Jim Berlstein VPGH51A at prodigy.com
Mon Oct 30 11:03:20 EST 1995

Greetings,
     Splitting up this topic would be bad because:

1) it's not all that busy, often quite sluggish even.

2) What field guides do you use? (Like I didn't know). I don't see any
PHD letters after David Arora's name, yet I have seen many a PHD defer to
his superior knowledge of mushroom identification at a conference.  Just
because someone has a PHD it does not mean they are more knowledgable
about mushrooms.

3) Interaction betweens the fanatics who roam the woods with a backpack
and a camera, and scientists, who often spent a lot of time in little
white rooms with sterile environments, are very important.  The fanatics,
like myself, can often provide samples of uncommon mushrooms to the
scientists. This sort of interaction advances the science and the hobby
of mushroom picking. ( For me, it is neither.  Hunting mushrooms is
either an addiction or a compulsion, I'm not sure)

-
  JIM BERLSTEIN, B.F.D.-    VPGH51A at prodigy.com