G. lucidum and G. curtisii

B. Taylor btaylor at cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu
Tue Sep 5 22:01:05 EST 1995

Hello:
Recently I've found an abundance of Ganoderma lucidum and Ganoderma curtisii
in my area (Athens, GA).  The physical similarities have raised a few
questions.

- Is coloration the only distinction?  I have found some specimens that seem
to be good representations of each species according to my references
(Mushrooms Demystified - Aurora; Field Guide to Southern Mushrooms -
Weber and Smith). But others are more difficult to distinguish.

- G. lucidum - "Reishi; Ling Chi" has a long history of medicinal use
and recently some exciting new findings.  How chemically similar are the
two mushrooms?  I have made alcohol extracts of both mushrooms for
personal use. Is this the most efficient preparation? (Although, considering
the current abundance, efficiency is not too much of a concern!)
Unfortunately, Hobbs' Medicinal Mushrooms does not mention G. curtisii.

In Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushroom, Stamets mentions that G. curtisii
may be a southeastern form of G. lucidum (p. 357). Does any one know of
further studies concerning this which are more recent than the ones he
cites? This would suggest that they are medicinally similar? Maybe? I'm
not a mycologist or a doctor. Just speculation...

Ok. thanks..

-Brad
btaylor at cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu

PS - Hopefully I can get the picture of the 3 lb G. curtisii with a 14 inch
stalk on my web page soon! We call it the "septre of immortality". :)