Dried Armillariella Mellea poisonous?

Gareth Renowden gren at gram.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 06:18:00 EST 1995


In article <slim-1309952110100001 at ptpm009.olympus.net>, slim at olympus.net
(David Thielk) wrote:

> By the way, I have heard that some people respond to the honey mushroom
> (A. mellea) in the manner you described.  Perhaps it is some sort of
> volatile toxin that is destroyed in cooking.
> 
> David Thielk

Antonio Carluccio, the London-based Italian restaurateur, fungophile and
author of A Passion for Mushrooms (an excellent cookbook), rates A. mellea
very highly, but always blanches them before cooking (ie, briefly immerses
them in boiling water), stating that this destroys a mild poison that can
cause stomach upsets in some people.

-- 
Gareth Renowden                      l
Publishing & marketing consultant    l  "I don't know what I want,
Voice +44 (0)181 241 4852            l     but I want it NOW!"
Fax +44 (0)181 943 4294              l    Sir Henry Rawlinson
e-mail gren at gram.demon.co.uk         l     (c) Viv Stanshall



More information about the Mycology mailing list