Dried Armillariella Mellea poisonous?

BrianMc brianmc at aol.com
Thu Sep 14 13:35:50 EST 1995

According to Dr. Denis Banjamin's "Mushrooms poisons and panaceas" the
toxins which produce the usual gastrioinstenial upset are not known.  His
references are in German, and I was unable to persue them.  He follows up
by saying that an antibiotic (melleolide) has been isolated from A. mellea
mycelium.

Always remember that most field guides define A. mellea as a species
"complex".  There are at least 14 distinct species within the genus, all
highly similar macroscopically.  Having said that, I must also note that
morphology is highly variable wihtin individual species of Armillaria (the
genus Armillariella is considered obsolete (much to the dismay of us
amatuers, yes?)).