Cultivating Corn Smut (Ustilago maydis)??

Mon Sep 18 11:26:23 EST 1995

In article <71216.rarnold at teleport.com>, "Ralph D. Arnold"
<rarnold at teleport.com> writes:
>Any experience cultivating Corn Smut (Ustilago maydis) ?
>Know of anyone having done this?  I would like to correspond with
>individuals about this species.  Thanks!  Ralph Arnold
>
>B.T.W., I can send an article entitled "Yield and Quality of Huitlacoche on
>Sweet Corn Inoculated with Ustilago maydis" from the Aug-93 issue of
>HortScience magazine. Send me $3.00 to cover costs of postage/photocopying
>to: Ralph Arnold, PO Box 889, Oregon City, OR  97045

Ralph,

Check out:  Pope, D. D. and S. M. McCarter. 1992. Evaluation of inoculation
methods for inducing common smut on corn ears.  Phytopathology 82(9):950-955.
The work was done at the U. of Ga. (Athens).  It should cover a lot of the
bases for you.  -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773