Laetiporus sulphureus Poisoning: Request for examples

Dminock dminock at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 00:34:59 EST 1995

Laitoporus Sulphureus has been plentiful in southern Michigan this year
from August 7 - September 19.  My wife and I have sauteed and eaten it
almost every day during this period without adverse effect.  Last week I
served it to some friends who are unfamiliar with edible fungi.  Thinking
to assure them of its edibility, I put several raw pieces on a plate and
displayed it with a photo from a field guide which characterized it as
"choice."

To my dismay, one of my friends ate one of the raw pieces.  When I told
her that she should not eat a raw wild mushroom, she stopped.  A few
minutes later, she reported a tightness in her chest.  This feeling
persisted for at least an hour, during which she vomited at least three
times.  After the hour, she recovered, but vowed never to eat Laetiporus,
or "Sulphur Shelf" again.

I tried to assure her that the fungus was not dangerous, even if eaten
raw.   I ate a small portion of a raw frond myself and suffered no adverse
reaction.

Those who ate the cooked Laetiporus declared it delicious and suffered no
reaction.

I should add that all of the Laetiporus was exceptionally clean and fresh.
 But even when eating and serving older, drier specimens, I have never
experienced any trouble, nor have those I served it to.  It is, in my
experience, the best of the fall edible fungi.