Laetiporus sulphureus Poisoning: Request for examples

Steven Carpenter microbe at PEAK.ORG
Sun Sep 24 14:39:32 EST 1995


It is possible that your friend succumbed to the power of your suggestion
and became sick from the suggestion, not the mushroom.  It is also just
as possible that the mushroom actually made the person sick.  These
things are very difficult to separate.

-Steve Carpenter
 Cascade Research Associates
  & Abbey Lane Laboratory
 microbe at peak.org


Dminock (dminock at aol.com) wrote:
: Laitoporus Sulphureus has been plentiful in southern Michigan this year
: from August 7 - September 19.  My wife and I have sauteed and eaten it
: almost every day during this period without adverse effect.  Last week I
: served it to some friends who are unfamiliar with edible fungi.  Thinking
: to assure them of its edibility, I put several raw pieces on a plate and
: displayed it with a photo from a field guide which characterized it as
: "choice."  

: To my dismay, one of my friends ate one of the raw pieces.  When I told
: her that she should not eat a raw wild mushroom, she stopped.  A few
: minutes later, she reported a tightness in her chest.  This feeling
: persisted for at least an hour, during which she vomited at least three
: times.  After the hour, she recovered, but vowed never to eat Laetiporus,
: or "Sulphur Shelf" again.

: I tried to assure her that the fungus was not dangerous, even if eaten
: raw.   I ate a small portion of a raw frond myself and suffered no adverse
: reaction. 

: Those who ate the cooked Laetiporus declared it delicious and suffered no
: reaction.   

: I should add that all of the Laetiporus was exceptionally clean and fresh.
:  But even when eating and serving older, drier specimens, I have never
: experienced any trouble, nor have those I served it to.  It is, in my
: experience, the best of the fall edible fungi.



More information about the Mycology mailing list