Laetiporus sulphureus poisoning

Paul Zambino paulz at PUCCINI.CRL.UMN.EDU
Mon Sep 25 13:07:53 EST 1995


I also have had an unpleasant experience with this fungus.  My wife and I
each nibbled a small piece of of the edge of a frond, very shortly after
which I became dizzy and nauseated, and vomited several times over the next
several hours.  My wife was unaffected. I ruled out the flu as a possible
cause, since none of my family or the other people I had contact with at a
picnic that day became sick.  I have eaten the fungus before and after this
experience, always cooked, and never had any other problems with it.
However, I have learned my lesson about tasting wild edibles before
cooking.

Paul Zambino
USDA Forest Service
Forestry Sciences Lab
5985 Highway K
Rhinelander, WI 54501
PH:(715)362-1178
FAX: (715)362-1166
EMAIL: paulz at puccini.crl.umn.edu
DG:p.zambino:R09F06A





More information about the Mycology mailing list