Aborted Entaloma

BrianMc brianmc at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 13:44:25 EST 1995

Tom Volk (tjvolk at facstaff.wisc.edu) wrote:

>Incidentally cultured Armillaria mycelium is ratehr easy to identify.
>Produces no clamp connection, but almost all strains produce abundant
>rhizomorphs on 2% malt extract medium, sometimes right away when the
>colony is very young and sometimes not until older.  Amillaria also tends
>to grow rather slowly.

Slow growth rates seem to me to be typical of mycorhizzal species, but I'm
no expert.  Tom has all the best and latest on Armillaria, which continues
to confound me in the field.  We don't get E. abortivum out here, but our
native Armillarias are particularly abundant.  I'm not a swift with the
technical references, but seem to recall that David Largent had done some
work on the Rhodophylloid fungi.

Arora lists his references in an appendix, which is not directly linked to
the keys themselves, but with a little digging I can come up with:

Largent, D. (1970-1974).  Studies in Rhodophylloid Fungi I:  Madrono 21:
32-39 II: Mycologia 62: 437-452

Largent, D. (1971-)  Rhodophylloid Fungi of the Pacific Coast I:
Brittonia 23: 238-245; II Northwest Sci. 46: 32-39; III  Mycologia 66
987-1021

The latter may be less helpful as it deals with the Pacifc Coast.